'; ?> Mossman, St Augustine’s II, 1912-1933

2nd church in Mossman, 1912-1933

This church stood in Junction Road, Mossman, on the same site as the first church that had been destroyed by the cyclone on 16 March 1911. It was designed and built by James Martin Sargent of Mareeba, with his son Michael Aloysius Sargent. It was blessed and opened by Bishop James Murray on 11 February 1912.

The Grogan Street property was bought in 1929, and the plan was to move this church there. When plans changed in 1933, the church was sold for its timber to the next door neighbour, Mr H.W. Denford, whose house had burned down in February 1933. The church was closed by Sunday 14 May 1933, and in the following week it was dismantled and converted to a house elsewhere.


Click an image to see the full size version.

'.$field[$loop][2].'

'.$field[$loop][2].' '; $fp++; } fclose($fp); ?>