'; ?> Port Douglas, 1st church, 1881-1911

1st church, Port Douglas, 1881-1911

This church is not the one now known as St Mary’s by the Sea

A chapel was built in 1878 on a steep part of the hill (see the map), and it became the presbytery after the first church was built and opened by the parish priest, Fr Peter Bucas, in 1881 on Sunday 20 or 27 February or 06 March. In 1883 the new parish priest, Fr Gioachino (Joachim) Guerrini, had the presbytery (the former chapel) moved to the same site as the church, and extended it. Both were destroyed by the cyclone of 16 March 1911. No part of the old church was used in building the one now known as St Mary’s by the Sea.


Click an image to see the full size version.

'.$field[$loop][2].'

'.$field[$loop][2].' '; $fp++; } fclose($fp); ?>