'; ?> Port Douglas, 2nd church, 1914-1988

Second church, Port Douglas, 1914-1988

The first church in Port Douglas was destroyed on 16 March 1911, as also the presbytery (the house). The replacement presbytery was built within two months using salvaged timber. The replacement church was not built until 1914; it was not made from the earlier church, but from new timber. The new presbytery was later sold and moved to Mossman as a private home in 1933. The church was closed in 1988, and the land was sold to fund the building of the third church. The old church (the second) was in poor condition, but it was not threatened with demolition. The parish donated it to the Port Douglas Restoration Society Inc, for historical preservation; it was relocated, renovated, and re-opened under the name St Mary’s by the Sea, which has caused constant confusion with the actual parish church, and the only one properly named after St Mary (at 2 Endeavour Street).

St Mary’s by the Sea is not a Catholic church.


Click an image to see the full size version.

'.$field[$loop][2].'

'.$field[$loop][2].' '; $fp++; } fclose($fp); ?>